Saturday, October 24, 2009

The weekend is here

At last! I'm so glad this awful week is over! I work this weekend, and I'm really looking forward to going back to work. I've had 10 days off, unintentionally. But I realized yesterday just how much I needed that time. Obviously, I needed time off this week when I was sick and when Tuesday happened, but now I've realized how burned out I was. I love, love, love my job, but in the past several weeks, I've found myself dreading going to work and wanting to just sit at home. That's usually my cue I've been doing too much and I need to take time out for myself. So I've had 10 days to be home, see friends and family, recharge, process, and start to heal. Today starts 5 days straight of work, but I'm ok with that. I'm ready to be with my residents and to have something to distract myself with a little bit.

We went to the OHCC volleyball game last night... bad idea. I thought it would be good for me to get out of the apartment and be a little social. But I found myself in a bad mood by the time we left, and it didn't get much better after that. Justin got roped into being a line judge, so I didn't even get to sit with him. So I was sitting by myself on an uncomfortable metal folding chair, watching a sport I don't care for, getting harrassed for not being "enthusiastic" enough about the game. Halfway through the first of 4 games, I felt myself shutting down. Too many people, too soon. Lesson learned.

My favorite channels to watch when I'm vegging out are Food Network and HGTV. I've watched alot of HGTV in the past week, and one of my favorite shows is Color Splash. I watched an episode on Wednesday about a couple who wanted to start a family, so they wanted a nursery. Then, surprise announcement at the end of the show: they're pregnant. Gah. I caught the end of another episode yesterday, and surprise announcement at the end: they're pregnant. So now I have to avoid Color Splash for several weeks, because I can't handle anymore pregnancy announcements.

I've been doing alot of cooking this week, which I haven't done in a long time. I've forgotten how therapeutic cooking is for me. Risotto and chicken soup and fish tacos... yum. And sour gravy and dumplings are on the menu for next week.

Bring on the weekend, and a new week. It can only get better.

Michelle

No comments: